My mother would keep a check on my studies till 7th grade. We had minimum of six subjects in my school. Mathematics, Social Science (which included History, Geography, Civics and Economics), Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) and the languages English, Kannada and Hindi. . Before monthly tests and annual examinations, she would ask me to go through a couple of chapters in a particular subject. Later, she would ask questions given in the end of each chapter from the text book and from the Class notes we maintained at school. We called it, Class work. Our teachers at school would dictate questions in each Lessons and give us answers as well. We were supposed to study these questions and answers for the exam.
My mother would be very strict during the question answer session. She kept a wooden ruler with her which she used to punish me for my pranks during ‘Question Answer Session’. She would hit me on my hand and knuckles or whichever body part she could instantly reach. I would not have seriousness most of the times and would lose seriousness soon, especially when I would not know answer for some questions. Things I did which showed my lack of seriousness would irritate her. For instance, I had a sharpener, which had a glass cover. And then there were black ants crawling on the floor. They usually form a line and carry sugar or food chunks in their mouth. I would take the glass sharpener case and trap one of the ants going in the line. I then watched the perplexed ant inside. I would giggle looking at it get confused and run in all directions to find an exit. Probably the ant would see its friends and family outside the glass case and wondered where the hell this case came from? I would watch for 2-3 minutes and then set it free removing the glass case. I never liked to suffocate it. The ant would run to it’s folks grabbing the food in it’s mouth and join the line.
My mother who by now had noticed the long silence for her question, would finally look at me distracted and giggling, and give me one tight slap with the wooden ruler. Some of the days my grand mother would come to stay with us. Seeing my little play and get beaten, she would cover her mouth with her hand and laugh holding her breath, suppressing any sound. She was scared of my mother and more than my mother, she was scared of me. Getting beaten in front of my granny would embarrass me a lot. She would later come to appease and caress me with fruits and delicacies.
After I went to 8th grade I was on my own to study and had hence got some sense of seriousness.
It’s cold these days and the heater is on most of the time in my house. In this cold weather some of the teeny-weeny things I hate to do:
- Washing my hair and stepping out of the house. I do use hair dryer but then I don’t have time to completely dry my hair.
- Sometimes I don’t switch on the fan when I take shower. The hot vapors collect and create a Sauna effect. I don’t like going out of the bath after a hot shower.
- I dislike wearing any metal chain. I don’t like the touch of the cold metal on my warm skin especially after a super hot bath.
- Wearing my trousers. They need few minutes to get warm after wearing (absorbing body heat)!! I don’t mean that I dislike wearing trousers (OF COURSE I DO WEAR TROUSERS, What were you thinking??? !!!) Only I wish they underwent some kind of heat treatment before wearing.
- I come out of my room getting ready and my finger tips have started to wrinkle. I hate the dry wrinkled fingers!! My palm seems to shrink and fingers start curling inwards. I have to stretch them and quickly apply a moisturizer.
- The moisturizer makes me look all the more oily. Now after applying a body lotion, I begin to wonder did I take a bath just now??? It’s oily!!! Ewww!! My husband who doesn’t like oily moisturizers, prefers to settle with dry wrinkled hands and legs. I wonder how he could???? Anyway, I look in the mirror. The moisturizer has made me oily, devoid of freshness!! It looks like I have just come from gym or a treacherous hike. Adding to that, I am terrible in applying make up on!! Some days however I give it a try. I take the liquid foundation and apply on my face and happily go to work. Obviously I look different from other days.My friends look at me in sympathy and ask if I am not doing well!!! Gosh, oily is better. At least it makes me look NORMAL!!!
- I hate sitting inside my freaking cold car. However I open the door and all it has to offer me is the cold seat, on which I hate to settle. I hold the steering wheel which is just as cold as the seat. I switch on the heater in the car, cold air blows on my face. By now all the heat I got from my Sauna is lost.
- I hate the static generated in my hair, hands and legs. By evening the moisturizer would have been absorbed completely and rubbing of clothes against skin creates static making it hard to remove the clothes clinging to my body. And when I pull the cloth I hate the crackling sound.
First attempt on Haiku. Written for Weekly Writing Challenge: Haiku Catchoo
YOUR CHALLENGE, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT
In the words of Ray Bradbury, “Just write every day of your life…”. Your mission is to write five haikus — one for each of the five days leading up to this Friday.
waking up like a
snail, slowly crawling, lazy
mind, a lazy day
feeling little good,
like a tortoise, moving
two days to Friday
something to cheer me up, like
a Sloth, walking fast
come Thursday, hopping
like a frog, jumping hyper
all around my world
from mid Firday, running home
Sweet home, like Emu
On a New moon night
Car broke down on a deserted road,
Wolves howling Owls Hooting in unison,
Thick dense trees by roadside,
Rustling leaves and Creaky branches,
Unanimously awakening an old Spirit ,
In a nearby cemetery.
Beneath the gravestones,
Rising from it’s tomb
To quench it’s thirst
With long black hair and teeth like Dracula
Dressed in medieval clothing,
grinning like a Cheshire cat, advancing in excitement.
I stand freezing and shivering, grinding my teeth perspiring
and Inspiring the Spirit
“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” by Nicolas Chamfort, a French Writer
Laughter has a healing power. I feel light after a good laugh. Hence I ask my hubby to dance often! It acts as a great stress relief after a long day. I happened to read the book “The Sound of Laughter” by Bennett Cerf. It is a collection of short jokes on various categories like animals, marriage, anecdotes, children, musicians and so on. For the last couple of weeks, I have been reading this book, while cooking, at bed time, after work, unable to put it down.
In school days I collected “sayings” or “thoughts” and jotted down in a book and named it “Realities of Life”. It became my (secret)hobby. I hid the book like a treasure showing it to only few of my friends. Basically anything nice I came across, I liked to make a note of it. For the same reason I am writing this post. These are 40 something out of I don’t know some thousands of jokes from the book, just a sample from the ocean in which I took a dip and came out laughing! By sharing I am contaminating you with the Laughter disease! It includes puns from Bernard Shaw, Mark Twain,Yehudi Menuhin. Read on and have some fun:
Here starts again! The drilling session,
Upper wisdom tooth, he yells in tension
Braces embracing all our thirty-one friends,
Wonder how much time here he spends!
God save us, from this fuss!
Trifextra: we’re going a bit weird on you with this weekend’s short prompt. Trifecta editor Lisa has a son who just lost his first tooth. In honor of such a creepy event, we want you to write a 33-word response that uses the word tooth. Your response can use any definition of the word but cannot tell the story of someone losing a tooth. (Because we just told that story, and it was pretty boring the first time.) –
See more at: Trifextra weekend prompt
I remember the day very well. It was such a wonderful and bright day with not much work to do. I had ample time and finished my morning routine and got to my workplace, my kitchen, to see awaiting orders. There were not many orders either, just one, surprisingly. I thought to myself, this is the time to show some of my skills. I got containers of all ingredients and started putting in a wok.
1 cup of humor
1 cup of politeness
1/2 cup of friendliness
1/4 th cup of patience
1/2 cup of loyalty
1 table spoon of lot of sleep
2 teaspoon of indifference and stubbornness